The Arts & Business Council of Greater Boston (A&BC) is excited to announce a call for entries for the 2018 Walter Feldman Fellowship for Emerging Artists.
Now in its fourth year, this program supports the careers of emerging artists through the experience of a solo exhibition, curatorial support, and professional development, including expert counsel in marketing and business skills.
This program is made possible by the investment of celebrated abstract expressionist artist Walter Feldman, who long held the goal of supporting emerging artists with opportunities for professional recognition and growth.
Who should apply
This fellowship is open to artists who have yet to have their first solo exhibition and who work in any two-dimensional media (excluding photography). Two artists will be selected as 2018 Fellows.
- New England-based artists working in non-photographic two dimensional media
- Applicant must be under 40 years old as of the application deadline
- Applicant has not had a previous solo show at a commercial gallery or museum; does not have professional representation. Artists who have had solo shows in non-profit or smaller alternative spaces are invited to submit.
Benefits of fellowship
- Curatorial guidance
- Solo show of 10-20 works at the A&BC’s Walter Feldman Gallery in Boston’s Fort Point neighborhood
- Design and printing of a professional exhibition catalog to accompany the solo show and to be distributed at the artist’s discretion
- Individualized career coaching with industry professionals
- Legal support as needed through the A&BC’s Volunteer Lawyers for the Arts program
- Submission deadline is 10/20
- Applicants will be notified of juror’s decisions on 11/7
- Dates of solo show TBD (fall 2018)
- Fellows will receive professional development coaching from the A&BC and artist consultant Almitra Stanley from September through the end of the fellowship year (June 2018).
Artists can apply through Submittable by clicking on the “Submit” button on the A&BC website. Through this online application form, you will be asked to provide:
- Five (5) images of works
- Your artist statement, bio (optional), and C.V./resume
- A short essay introducing your work and why you feel you will benefit from the Fellowship
- A $15 administration fee.
The Creative Entrepreneur Fellowship (CEF) is a customized professional development experience designed to designed to accelerate the careers and practice for a diverse group of artists and creative solopreneurs. Administered by the Arts & Business Council of Greater Boston, the program includes personalized goal setting, one-on-one coaching, skills-training seminars, a stipend for business-related purchases, and an opportunity to showcase work at a capstone event. The program kicks off in December and runs through June. Workshops are held in Roxbury as well as at the A&BC offices in Fort Point Channel, Boston.
To complete the application process below, you will need to provide a short essay (500 words or less) introducing your art/craft/creative practice and how you think the CEF will benefit you. You will also be asked to provide names and contact information for two professional references and to upload 2-5 attachments that best represent the work you do. You will be able to save this application and return to it later, but please be advised that the application period will close at midnight on October 2, 2017.